Wednesday 6 March 2019

January/February Update on County Big Year


        Check out my first blog post for some background on what I'm up to



          Two months have come and gone in this Great county and things are exciting as they can be in the not so raging winter months of January and February. Nonetheless, the birds always seem to pull through and this January and February have been no exception. So, Let's get to it then.....the highlights!

         This code 5 (Woot Woot!) Townsend's Solitaire was an excellent kickstart to the county year list. I was getting worried about missing this long-staying rarity for the year, but fortunately after spending around four back to back days in the Forfar Ave. neighbourhood where it was being seen, this little beauty decided to finally reveal itself on it's favourite snag. I was extremely happy to get this bird out of my way, as I'm sure the neighbours were getting annoyed of my ongoing presence (Which was made pretty clear by the officer who pulled me over wondering what I was looking at). I did not trasspass, but even I'd be a bit worried if an 18-year old was regularly meandering around my neighbourhood with binoculars and a camera. Ahh....the things that must be done for the birds....my sincere apologies if I freightened you.

My (quite) unsuccessful attempt at photographing the Solitaire

          One of my favourite parts of winter is making regular bike trips down to the Grand River. This can be one of the most bird rich areas this time of year in the county. I must say nothing is quite better than sipping a steaming cup of coffee in a blistering snow storm while desperately scanning through Goldeneye flocks in hopes of catching that rare glimpse of a Barrow's. Maybe next year! Of course these adventures would not be adventures without ol' Canyon Runner by my side.

Canyon Runner in Action (kinda)


You never know what's going to show up on the Grand (But most times you do!), and this particular year has been a great year for some fun code 1's and 2's.


Eastern Bluebird


Common Raven

Peregrine Falcon

One of my favourite sightings from this month was this pair of Cackling Geese hunkered in among the Canada's on a very snowy morning. This would be the first of two groups of Cackler's I would see over these months.

Cackling Goose (The small ones)

Even when the good birds cease to show, any morning spent on the river is time well spent in my eyes. The common winter scene of Common Goldeneyes and Common Mergansers truly encompass and embrace the beauty of the winter season as their call's fill the chilly surroundings. It won't be long now, until these vacationing Goldeneye's return north to the places they call home.

Common Goldeneye

I was lucky to nail all my trash birds in only a few shots this January at my local landfill. $5 for unlimited entertainment....yes please!

The Gulls gather to hear the words of the crab?! king


A nice comparison of a 1'st cycle Iceland Gull (Right) and 2'nd cycle Glaucous Gull (Centre right)

        One on one owl encounters are always special and this close to home twitch made for an exciting addition to the county year and life list. It took me nearly an hour of scanning the woods of where it had been reported and had almost given up hope. But on my last run the Owl miraculously swooped in from the neghbouring woodlot and perched only a few feet away providing stellar views. The Owl seemed slightly curious by my presence, I made sure to give him/her lots of room. Barred Owls will always have a special place in my heart, having been the first wild owl I got to experience as a kid, such fantastic birds!



A Final Look at January/February

Official Total as of February 28 (11:59pm):  73 
Code 5: Townsend's Solitaire
Code 4: Zippo
Code 3: Cackling Goose, Barred Owl, Long-tailed Duck (At least 3! seperate birds)
Cool Winter Birds: American Coot, Ruby-crowned Kinglet 
Other Highlights: Northern Pintail, Lesser Scaup, Common Raven, Lesser Black-backed Gull

I managed to bear through these slower months and check some places I most certainly wouldn't visit if not lured by the birds. After clearing some of the tougher code 2's and sticking to the 1.5 code 3's a month (18 in total) I'd say I'm on track.  

It's always a challenge to project what lies ahead this early in a year. But as February comes to a close the first grackles and blackbirds are slowly trickling into the county, a sign of spring, of migration and of more. The winds are changing and so are the birds. Things are picking up in the County and it won't be long before we are in the heart of May birding. But for now I'm ready to adventure into a slowly emerging Waterloo County spring, excited to see what lies ahead on this path of a Big County year. 



Happy March!!

 Snowy Owl against a Linwood sunrise






No comments:

Post a Comment